I have always wanted to make short ribs but have never done them. I saw some delicious looking short ribs at our store and decided it was time to try. This recipe came from here at Fifteenspatulas.com. I only did a tiny bit of editing for this recipe.
Here is what you will need:
Good olive oil
short ribs (i realized that mine were boneless, next time I will get bone in for added flavor) I ended up only using 1 package.
1 softball sized yellow onion
1 piece of celery
1 or 2 carrots
1 bay leaf
1/2 tsp thyme
1 cup red wine
1 cup beef broth
2 Tablespoons of honey
salt and pepper
The recipe is simple.
1. put olive oil in a pan on medium high heat- aproximately 2 tsp.
2. salt and pepper the short ribs.
3. Once the pan is hot put the ribs into the pan (there should be a really good sizzle going on)
4. While these get golden brown chop up the onion into slices, the carrots and the celery and place into the crock pot on low heat.
5. Flip the short ribs on each side and make sure it gets browned all the way around. (you are not cooking them, just getting color and sealing in the juices. )
6. Sprinkle thyme over the veggies and put the bay leaf into the crockpot.
7. Place the short ribs over the veggies.
8. Mix the wine, beef broth, and honey together, mix it to dissolve the honey a bit and pour it over the meat into the crockpot.
9. Cover and cook on low 8-12 hours. (I did about 9 hours and they were perfect) They will be tender and delicious and absolutely fall apart.
I am serving mine with Trader Joes 10 minute barley. (on the side of the package it tells how to make it into risotto by slowly cooking it with chicken broth.) Then i will add parmasean cheese.
I will also sautee some zucchini and squash with garlic, rosemary and a little olive oil and then do a side salad.
This dinner will count as the following containers
2 red (i am eating 2 servings of beef, you can do one if you want) 1 yellow, 1 blue, 3 green, 1 orange, and 1 tsp.
This is how it looked after slowly cooking all day.